Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wagons Ho!

The Oregon Trial (and its associated trails) runs right through our backyard. Every few years a wagon train makes its way across our place.
This is one of the few places they go "off-road" now a days. Tess watching the wagons come down off the hill from Herb's place.
Tess and I hitched a ride from Herb and Phyllis's to the camp site.


Nice wagon. The driver told us it was a true replica.


It had a chicken pen on the side and a little hen and rooster came along for the ride. I tried to kidnapp these chickens, but they were happy in their traveling home.


We found this wagon which was from Monroe, Utah! Monroe is the small town in Utah where my dad's family is from and his brother Cal and family still live there. The LaFevre family was very kind, letting Tess ride their mule, Jessie and handing out quarters for the priviledge.
We got our garden all planted. We went mushroom hunting and found some boxelder mushrooms. I think I was the only one brave enough too eat one, but I had the sage advise of my mushroom expert neighbors. We have lots of wild flowers around due to the rain.
Tess turned five and has been having parties and celebrations for most of the month.
The lake is at 159% capacity. I'm not quite sure who does the math on these things, but what it means is its dam full. Certainly as full as I have ever seen it. I need to get out and take some pictures.


1 comment:

Dahlene said...

How cool is that? I would love to see wagon trains coming through my back yard. Neat pictures.